So, I heard there’s this new flight ticket and hotel booking app called Traveloka that my friends have been suggesting me to try. I recently downloaded it and decided to see how it works. And as a result, I booked a one-bedroom suite at Richmonde Hotel Ortigas for a weekend staycation.
Richmonde Hotel Ortigas, my dream staycation
Seems like I am exaggerating, but yeah, curious on how it looks like, I have long been wanting a staycation in Richmonde. However, I find it more expensive than its neighbor hotels so we always end up with Linden, Astoria, BSA Towers, and the likes. Last weekend, my dream finally came true.
When we got there, I went straight to the reception area to check-in. Though there were a couple of guests checking in as well, in less than five minutes, I was handed with our key card. That was the quickest hotel check-in I’ve ever experienced. Seriously! And I was also told that I’ll be receiving a complimentary cake, which no other hotels have given me in the past.
Our one-bedroom suite was decent in size. The AC worked well too, though I find the kitchen claustrophobic and tiny. Both living and bedroom have a 32-inch (I think) cabled LCD TV. Aside from the complete set of toiletries, bath robes, slippers, and a number of towels, there was a tub too, yey! I just hated the ants and dead cockroach.
Now, let’s talk about the breakfast buffet that costs P675. It was disappointing for its price. Here’s their menu for that weekend: Steamed and Garlic Rice, Pancit Bihon, Hash Brown, Siomai, Tapa, Chicken Tocino, Tuna Chunks, Bacon, Eggs, soybean curd, four variations of bread, a couple of vegies and dressing for the salad, three types of desserts, three types of juices, and three types of fruits. Now tell me, was it worth it?
Richmonde made it up for its less spectacular breakfast with its heated pool. Ilog didn’t cry even once and really enjoyed waddling his feet and screaming out of excitement. It’s our first time to see him thrilled with the water.
What I liked
- Quick and seamless check-in and check-out process. Five minutes tops. Gaaahd, I remember waiting for more than an hour in Astoria just to check-out while standing because they had no room for waiting guests.
- The complimentary cake!
- The indoor heated pool. This is the third staycation we had since Ilog was born. This is also the only time when he got to enjoy the pool. No crying happened.
- The carpeted floors.
- Easy access to Shangri-La, Megamall, and restaurants along Pearl Drive.
- I really liked that you have to have a key card to access your floor. I felt more secured.
- Though the room is good for two persons only, we had six pillows. I am a pillow person so hurrah!
- I give 5 out of 5 stars for the service. Because I couldn’t connect my laptop to the WiFi, so I had to call for assistance. In about two minutes after my call, the IT guy came knocking to our door.
What I did not like
- The toilet bowl had ants all over it when we arrived in our room.
- There was a dead tiny cockroach in one of the kitchen cabinets.
- Though there’s a notification, no lifeguard was around the pool during our visit. One kid almost drowned the same time we were there. Thank God, nothing really bad happened.
- Too little choices for the breakfast buffet.
- You have no way of knowing whether the lift is going up or down. We got rejected a couple of times by the lift operator, when there’s one available.
- Our view is blocked by the hotel’s buildings. Meh.
My verdict? I may not book another room in Richmonde Hotel Ortigas in the future. Comparing its price, and amenities (except the heated pool) with other hotels in Ortigas, it quite fell short of my expectations. But who knows? I may have a change of heart. 🙂
Traveloka and how it works
Traveloka is a hotel and flight booking platform in Southeast Asia that works through web and mobile app. So, how do you book a hotel room using its mobile app?
- Download the Traveloka app, which is available for both iOS and Android users.
- Create an account using your email or mobile number, your Google account, or your Facebook account.
Note: You will receive an email with a Verification Code that will confirm your registration. While you may skip setting up your profile, I suggest you do this right after you create an account for seamless booking experience.
- On the home page, tap Hotels.
- Fill out the form with your preferred destination, check-in date, duration, number of guest(s) and room(s).
- Tap Search. All hotels affiliated with Traveloka will appear.
- Tap on the hotel you wish to book.
- On the hotel page, tap Select Room.
- Select the room type. You will be brought to the Fill in Details page.
- Under the Book tab, input your Contact Details, then tap Continue.
- Under the Review tab, review the booking details before tapping Continue.
- Under the Pay tab, choose your payment method.
- After you are done paying, your booking details will be displayed under the Voucher tab. Aside from that, you will also receive a text message and email with your booking details.
What makes Traveloka different from other booking apps then? True to its promise, it has no transaction fees, hidden charge, and even offers lower rates compared to its competitors. I am not sugar-coating. As of writing, I am looking for a specific hotel in Cebu for our upcoming trip. This certain hotel is fully-booked with other booking apps, but have several rooms available on Traveloka. I am definitely using this again!